Director, Business Development
The incumbent will lead all aspects of the corporate search and evaluation for nephrology and immunology business development opportunities. They also will be responsible for conducting initial scientific & technical evaluations and will be a key external face for the organization. One main objective of this position is to accelerate business growth, through the identification of new business development opportunities aligned with Aurinia’s overall corporate strategy and expertise.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Sourcing & leading scientific/commercial due diligence of platforms, early stage preclinical assets and clinical assets.
- Prepare assessments and recommendations to be presented to the management team and Board of Directors.
- Make early “go” vs. “no-go” judgments to take responsibility both for progressing and terminating evaluations.
- Form & lead cross-functional teams to evaluate opportunities when appropriate, use of external experts will be required.
- Management of external vendors to support Business Development objectives and processes.
- Sourcing, leading scientific/ commercial due diligence of platforms, early stage preclinical or clinical assets.
- Accountable for the development of a comprehensive and timely due diligence package to include a full assessment (scientific evaluation, regulatory, CMC, manufacturing, clinical development, financial, reimbursement issues, competitive landscape) of external opportunities when appropriate.
- Alliance Management: Act as key point of contact with industry and Aurinia’s current partner network.
- Works cross-functionally and builds strong and effective working relationships (R&D, manufacturing, IP, legal, marketing, finance).
- Relevant education commensurate with the roles and responsibilities of the job with at least 5 years of related experience within Pharma/Biotech
- In-depth understanding of the drug development process, biologics, and peptide platforms in Aurinia’s area of therapeutic interest is required
- Strong domain expertise in the Immunology and Nephrology therapeutic areas (discovery, preclinical to IND filing) is required
- Well-developed external network, including industry contacts
- Strong consultative and communication skills (written and verbal), with the ability to formulate cohesive strategic arguments and respectfully challenge a group of experts. (essential)
- Strong interpersonal skills, with demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary setting, foster and nurture teamwork, and act as a facilitator to drive fulfillment of corporate strategic goals
- Willingness to travel up to 25%; the role will require some global travel (medical congresses, advisory boards, partnering meetings and key internal meetings)
- Comfortable with ambiguity and embracing of change willingness to self-start
- Effective stakeholder management skills and an ability to interact and build trusted relationships with all levels of employees, including senior leadership
- Able to influence without authority and establish and maintain credibility with senior audiences
- Aware of the Nephrology & Immunology therapeutic marketplace including the many new technologies that are being developed across the industry (Preclinical and Clinical)
- Resourceful, motivated, decisive and proactive; must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-growing organization and be confident working with incomplete data
- Ability to work well independently as well as a member of multiple, integrated teams
Please fill out the form below to submit your application.