Medical Science Liaison (MSL)
Reporting Line: Head of Global Medical Affairs
Purpose of Position
The incumbent is responsible for providing a variety of external and internal customers with medical and scientific information on the appropriate utilization of specific products and with more general information about their therapeutic area and disease state. This field-based position will proactively build healthcare provider support, by using a scientific approach that is aligned with the medical affairs objectives. The MSL will need to be a credible and valued representative of Aurinia Pharmaceuticals Inc. in a variety of interactions with key stakeholders across their regions. The position is an opportunity to contribute to the creation of a US field medical and Medical Affairs function.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for initiating, building and fostering relationships with US rheumatologists and nephrologists within pertinent geographic region; candidates with pre existing recent relationships with these clinicians are strongly preferred
- Attend major US rheumatology and nephrology conferences including staffing medical booth at direction of Head of Medical Affairs
- Work closely with Head of Medical Affairs to provide input for the basic SOPs and expectations for a field medical role and field/ booth materials
- Attend regional pertinent scientific conferences and advocacy meetings at direction of head of medical affairs
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of products, clinical treatment trends, clinical trials, and scientific activities within areas of interest;
- Provide meaningful scientific exchange to ensure that they understand the science behind, and the clinical data associated with company products. Additionally, be able to provide meaningful feedback to the organization on how the KOLs/HCPs view products of interest;
- Create awareness of product attributes, therapeutic benefits, and appropriate uses;
- Assist in the development of strategic KOL plans to provide needs-based, value-added services;
- Provide relevant medical and scientific information and literature, within corporate guidelines, for healthcare provider education;
- Provide field-based medical and scientific support to answer unsolicited questions about products and related therapeutic areas;
- Serve as a local medical and scientific resource for the medical community in therapeutic areas of interest;
- Develop and demonstrate a thorough working knowledge of the company, its products, current medical and scientific research and publications in therapeutic areas of interest;
- Provide medical and scientific support for medical education initiatives (e.g., speaker training);
- Deliver high quality educational presentations in a variety of settings (e.g., formulary committees, medical meetings, and allied healthcare professionals’ meetings) and obtain feedback that can be disseminated throughout the organization;
- Professionally represent the company at select medical meetings and programs;
- Use appropriate, ethical judgment in the distribution of all information;
- Serve as a local medical and scientific resource for internal stakeholders;
- Provide medical and scientific training support to internal colleagues upon request;
- Provide local medical support for certain internal strategic initiatives, such as consultant and advisory meetings;
- Gather and disseminate competitive intelligence from multiple sources;
- Complete accurate and timely administrative reports, projects, and other required documentation;
- Serve as liaison between clinical investigators and internal stakeholders in support of research.
- Advanced scientific degree (Doctorate or Master’s Level) or equivalent required.
- At least 3 years of recent MSL experience in current geography, clinical experience within relevant therapeutic/disease areas preferred.
- An established track record of effective and influential oral presentations and discussion to Health Care Professionals within the therapeutic/disease area(s) of interest.
- Strong scientific baseline knowledge in research, clinical trial methods, implementation and interpretation; possesses sound scientific and clinical judgment.
- Strong compliance knowledge and adherence to corporate compliance in all activities - including those related to clinical trials, scientific presentations, and responses to unsolicited requests for information.
- Strong customer-facing skills; listening skills; probing skills; and flexibility.
- Must live within the region, within one hour of a major airport, and be able to travel overnight 60-80% as business requires.
- Must have a current and valid driver’s license.
- Demonstrates an understanding of pharmaceutical industry practices, as well as standard medical practices in therapeutic area(s) of concentration and broad therapeutic competency (e.g., keeps current with new information and trends in the field).
- Demonstrates professional communications (written, verbal, presentation, and listening) to cultivate and nurture strong working relationships with internal and external colleagues.
- Comprehends company products as well as medical, marketing, legal, and regulatory issues and compliance.
- Must have the ability to work independently, within a home office while efficiently managing time and
- Conducts oneself in a highly professional and ethical manner.
- Deals with ambiguity and thrives in an ever-changing environment.
Please fill out the form below to submit your application.